Christian Travelers Guide

homemade blackberry jam

Remember these blackberries? Just the other day we found out they are actually considered a pest/weed in Tasmania. I can understand why - so many thorns! The plants grow rampant all over the big hill near our house so it only took us 20 minutes or so to fill up an entire colander.

Yesterday my boyfriend looked up a recipe for blackberry jam and we spent the afternoon listening to records and hanging out in the kitchen. This jam is so easy to make and you don't even need pectin or sterilised jars if you are simply making it for yourself and can eat it in a week. We ended up with one full jar of jam for the quite-nice price of 50c (that was just for the 2 cups of sugar and some lemon juice).

If anyone has made other jams I'd love to hear about it! Now when I visit the green grocer and see bargains for fruit that is less-than-perfect I'll just be wondering if I can turn it into a sticky sweet spread.