Christian Travelers Guide

Four hour stroll

As though all the excitement from the market on Sunday wasn't enough, we decided to go for a nice long walk in the nicer parts of town near our house. We ended up staying out for four hours, just walking, taking photos and being amazed at simple things, like spotting a possum dozing in a pine tree.

It is a sad fact that the bushland behind our house is often used by thoughtless people as a rubbish dump. This hairless doll with only one arm and leg truly freaked me out.

Along the old railway tracks you can spot a few piles of bones from small animals such as rabbits. I took home these four tiny bones as well as two halves of a rabbits lower jaw. I had better get around to cleaning them properly - Kaylah from The Dainty Squid does a really nice job of tidying up her finds.

There were a lot of small grasshoppers hopping about, this one stood still just long enough for me to take a picture, all while thinking 'Pleeeaaase don't jump on me'. I am not a big fan of insects or spiders. Even butterflies freak me out - I know it's completely irrational but I can't help it.

To our delight we came across 3 horses and 3 goats. While I was watching them, a man's dog sidled up beside me waiting for a pat. It is a very strange thing to find a dog suddenly standing beside you. On our way home I also befriended a young cat but I was distraught to see that he had a puncture wound right through his ankle, which obviously hasn't received any medical attention from a vet. I wish people took better care of their animals.

The sun was setting just as we reached the river, at around 9pm. By the time we reached home it was properly dark and we were very, very keen for dinner and a well deserved rest.