Christian Travelers Guide

30 Days of Yoga

I just ordered my first new pair of sneakers since this time last year. Whoops! I realized I wore holes into the pinky toes of my Brooks Ravennas, but didn't quite acknowledge the fact that I've been wearing them since last March... . and that year of wearing has included 5k, 10k, and half-marathon training.

Why the sudden impulse to treat myself? (Well, other than the direct deposit of my income tax return... )

I've finally followed through with something non-running related: 30 days of yoga. I've had a goal of implementing more strength training for years, but, honestly, I just find it super boring. I like to be moving and active, not waiting in between sets. Strength training for me is better through yoga or pilates... something where I'm moving.

Photo credit: Yogawithadriene.com

I saw a challenge posted on Yoga with Adriene's YouTube channel and decided to give it a go. I started in January and stuck with it for most of the month, but I wasn't faithful to the order of 30 days. I'd pick and choose what I wanted to do -- stretching out my back or my hamstrings, or just taking it easy. (Again, I'm not good at pushing myself... clearly.) Once February rolled around, I decided to start the full challenge, day by day, skipping days one and two since I did them at the end of January.

I just finished it and I couldn't be more pleased with myself and my progress.

I still can't get into bow pose, can't get my heel up into my crotch during tree pose, and have had several face-smashing, nearly wrist-breaking run-ins with crow pose (which I WILL master before the end of the year, I swear), but I can put my heels down during downward facing dog (which I FINALLY understand and appreciate as a resting pose), I can bend the foot of my extended leg towards my shoulder in pigeon, I'm at least attempting crow, and I can see changes in my body. My upper body is getting more toned, to the point where with another solid month or two of yoga, truly practicing going into chatarunga instead of flopping my torso onto the floor, I won't be self-conscious in tank tops.

Beyond physical changes and progress, it's mind-clearing for me. I love having time carved out of each day to only focus on how my body feels, what muscles are tight, what joints are sore... I hide my cell phone and just let my body surrender to a few minutes of peace. I'm sleeping better and feel more at ease with myself with this new self-awareness I have.

It's been a great companion to my running and cross-training workouts this year. I have had less muscle pain, less recovery time, and to be honest, I feel really weird without it... to the point where I've been in my pajamas and have felt horrible about the possibility of not completing my yoga video for the day, so I change and give my body a nice little evening treat.

We're starting the challenge up again today and I can't wait to see how much change I see at the end of March.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Adriene. (My body thanks you too.)