Christian Travelers Guide

Upping the Ante

I've been consistently running for the last year. Finally. My first year with no major breaks, no excuses, and it's been awesome. My only issue is that I've been having an issue with really pushing myself. The minute the terms faster or farther cross my mind, my body's like... no. I've been running intervals since the beginning of the year and noticed that at least that's making me move faster, but sprinting? Forget about it.

I've also been following Yoga with Adriene's 30 Days of Yoga challenge. I've only missed two days since the beginning of the month, but I haven't really been sticking with each day's video, rather I've been doing what I feel like my body needs. The thing I'm noticing with this is that while I love yoga and can actually feel my body tighten without it, I, once again, refuse to push myself. I don't want to do anything that hurts, that makes me shake, and I don't get it.

I'm not losing weight like I used to. I've evaluated my diet and everything... when I was losing a lot several years ago, my diet was much worse than it is now. I was drinking more, eating out much more, so what's the difference? It has to be the exercise. Back then I was running 3+ miles a day, doing Zumba, and taking other classes - spinning, yoga, step, etc. -- at Gold's. Now all I'm doing is running maybe 2 1/4-2 1/2 miles regularly, walking, cycling, and doing yoga. I don't push myself like I did back then.

Part of the issue is that we live so far away from a gym that offers classes. There is a gym about 2 miles away that I need to join, but all they have are cardio machines and weights. The closest gym with classes is a good 30 minutes away. (Granted, I was taking a Zumba class about 15 minutes away, but during the school year, leaving the house for an hour and a half after dinner just seems.. un-doable.. for some reason.) I would either have to come home for an hour, then head back out for at least two to take a class.. I hate to do that much driving.

So here I sit, soaking up a two-hour delay, making a workout playlist on YouTube. I have to do this. I have to challenge my body or I'm not going to see any changes.