Christian Travelers Guide

Couch to the Concrete's Guide to the Healthy Side of OCMD

As I was planning to go on vacation, my head swirled with visions of funnel cakes, fried donuts, and waffle fries. But then reality hit me and my head started swirling with visions of me spending nights in the bathroom and mornings of food-hangovers. Prior to leaving, I checked out some healthier options through Yelp and planned out a few workouts that would keep me somewhat on track. (Until Shenanigan's waffle fries came calling, that is.)

Without further ado... .

Exercise:
1. RUN ON THE BEACH. No, really. I ran on the boardwalk twice while I was in town and it was fantastic to run on flat land surrounded by people which pushed me to run a little harder... but then I was also surrounded by temptations of things like the scent wafting out of Cinnabon and the constant carnival smell that comes along with the boardwalk. My last morning there, I decided I was going to attempt a music-free, barefoot run on the beach and my god, I wish I could do that once a week. It was tough. My calves burned and my pace was so slow it barely registered as running, but I only ran for 20 minutes with a 5-minute warmup and 5-minute cooldown walk and burned 318 calories. I'll take it!

2. YOGA ON THE BEACH. I discovered this little gem with a little bit of research. Lora Cole Yoga hosts a morning yoga session on the beach at 48th street at 8:30 on Fridays for $15. I turned it into a full morning and walked down from our hotel on 12th street and then walked back afterwards (5 miles round trip... woohoo!). It was an awesome treat to myself. She took us through a series of poses that I felt opened my body up and relaxed me. With each pose, she showed multiple versions of the pose so we could work where we felt comfortable. As someone who loves yoga but isn't the most flexible, this made me feel successful at yoga, and who doesn't like to feel successful first thing in the morning? I even managed to get over my sand-phobia, though I did find myself brushing my arms and legs off every time I was in downward facing dog, but we can't all be perfect. If you go, I suggest taking a BIG beach towel or blanket rather than a yoga mat.

Food:

1. Underneath the Beach Plaza hotel on the boardwalk at 13th street, there is a little gem called My Nature, an organic/raw/vegan salad bar and market. I stopped down twice for freshly made juice and smoothies and each time was beyond pleased with my choice. The first time I went, I had a "Sandy Toes" juice with beet, apple, parsley, kale, celery, and cucumber and enjoyed it on the beach post-run. I've never had fresh juice beyond my mom's kitchen creations and I was really pleased. My last morning, I had a "Banana Boat" smoothie with banana, avocado, strawberry, coconut milk, agave, cinnamon (and something else that I'm forgetting) and that was even better. As someone who tends to forget that fruits and vegetables exist when I'm on vacation, this was the perfect find. Be mindful that it's a little pricey (just under $10 for a smoothie or a juice), but you're also getting quality ingredients in a locally-owned shop.

2. A few blocks up from My Nature is another gem hidden in a shopping plaza on 15th street and Baltimore Avenue called The Greenhouse. I stopped here after yoga for a late breakfast and was beyond pleased with the food and the drinks. I got freshly made bagel and egg sandwiches (mine was an everything bagel with two eggs, chipotle gouda cheese, and avocado) and even a straight-out-of-bed Josh approved of the sandwiches. I also ordered a berry/banana/mango smoothie for him (which I had to sip on the way home because it was "leaking"... #sorrynotsorry) and a green juice for me. Everything was just awesome. I loved the laid-back vibe in the deli and wish I would have gone back for lunch sandwiches and an adult beverage (they do sell 6-packs and wine here... talk about a gem!), but we ran out of time. Definitely on my to-do list for next year! Again, it's a little pricey. I think I spent just under $30 for two sandwiches and two drinks, but again, you're getting quality ingredients in a locally-owned shop... and you can actually watch them make your food. Definitely worth it.

3. If I'm being honest, I mostly love this place because you can drink on a sand-covered patio sitting in a swing. But that's not the only reason I love Fish Tales. If you enjoy a fruity adult beverage but don't want to drink away all of your calories, this is the place for you. They have a good-sized section of their drink menu dedicated to skinny drinks, including this coconut mojito made with coconut water vodka and coconut water itself. I definitely enjoyed more than my fair share of beverages here, but without the guilt. They also have an awesome dinner called casados which is a Central American dish and it was beyond delightful. This is definitely one of those must-do places when visiting OCMD. We had to wait about 20-25 minutes for a table and I was actually sad when our table was ready because I had to leave my little spot on my swing in the sand.

Want a bonus? If you're headed into Ocean City, definitely make a pit stop in Rehoboth Beach to visit Dogfish Head's Brewings and Eats. They have an awesome freshly-made hummus, pita, and olive appetizer dish that I turned into a meal and it was awesome. Not only was it reasonable and filling, but it also gave me some extra wiggle room to enjoy some brews.

So there you have it... I came, I saw, I conquered, I logged over 25 miles, and I indulged and loved it. Now it's back on track for two days before celebrating the big 3-0!

What are your healthy vacation must-dos?