Christian Travelers Guide

Pushing myself

During my last 10k training program, Ease into 10k, I was pretty confident in my ability to maintain the training plan. Each day consisted simply of run-walk intervals, allowing me to build distance and endurance. Race time has since come and gone and I was able to tough out the entire 6.2 miles.

This time around, I'm using Active's 5k to 10k training program and am loving this one so much more. The first day of each week is an easy run, either 20 or 25 minutes depending on the week, plus two 15 minute recovery weeks. I really missed having the opportunity to show my progress speed-wise during the last training program. I loved that it helped me build endurance, but I missed having an easy day here and there -- rather, the program just progressively got harder. I'm noticing that my easy runs are now coming in at under 12 minutes a mile, which is great for me considering I started this whole running thing back in January at 13:49 minute miles.

The one thing I've been dreading are the tempo and fast runs. I am not a speed person. I'm not sure my legs, lungs, and head even know what the word speed means. I consistently run at one pace. I've maybe sprinted toward a finish line two or three times in my life, once leading me straight into a portajohn to vomit. I've been dead set on joining the local gym so I could do my tempo and fast runs on the treadmill because the last time I used a similar program, I was successful with this because I could at least control the speed manually instead of having to push myself.

Well.

Surprise, surprise...

This girl is learning how to push herself!

Last week, I had my first tempo run. It was a three-minute tempo run sandwiched in between two 10-minute jogs, but I did it.. I ran until I cramped and couldn't breathe, except to mutter, "Pace okay?" to myself.

Today, I had my first fast intervals. I did a 10-minute warm up jog, then hit two two-minute fast run/jog intervals, ending with an 8-minute steady run. I pushed through those fast runs like someone was chasing me, like a little kid on a playground racing her buddy. (Okay, I ran like the impending storms were going to get me.) I couldn't pull it together for the steady run afterwards because the rest of my run led me to one of the steepest, longest hills in the neighborhood, so it was more of a jog, but I was beyond pleased when I realized that my average pace today was only 4 seconds slower per mile than Monday's run which was still under 12-minute miles.

I knew deep down somewhere that all I had to do was get over this stinky attitude of I don't want to be uncomfortable. The uncomfortable is where the change hides.

How will you push yourself out of your comfort zone?