Christian Travelers Guide

Cold Weather Success

I've been in a funk with this cold weather lately. I genuinely like cold weather running, but I'm so tired of bundling up, scraping salt and cinders off my shoes, and tramping through slush. I've been a negative beast, especially with week 5 of Couch to 5K this week... it's the transition week - the big week... the week of the 20 minute run.

I squeezed in day 1 on Monday, even though my festering cold tried to tell me no. I struggled on the hills, my quads burning, my breath out of whack. I was surprised I was survived... and even more surprised when I actually hit 2 1/4 miles. I was so miserable.. my runs have been great lately and I really should have just been pleased with the fact that I went out and did it considering how miserable I've been feeling with this cold hanging around.

With a vacation planned this weekend, I knew I had to squeeze in a Wednesday and Friday run somehow this week... so today I set out after work to get in day 2 - an 8 minute jog, 5 minute walk, and another 8 minute job. I figured with the impending storm, I'd better get it out of the way, then I can hit day 3 on Friday or, if push comes to shove, wait until the weekend and get a quick one in Saturday morning or wait and bang it out on our hotel treadmill. I actually felt good once I got my butt moving out the door and as I crested the first hill during the first 8 minute jog, I had a sudden spark of inspiration... I wasn't going to walk my five minutes, I was just going to run.

And I did.

And it. felt. great.

I ran 21 minutes today for the first time in almost a year. It was slow, but I did it, and I wanted to tell everyone I passed on my way home that I, THIS GIRL, just ran 21 minutes straight.

And didn't fall over, or break a leg, or have my side burst from a cramp!

And I can't wait to run AGAIN on Friday.