Christian Travelers Guide

Biggest Loser Finale: Going Too Far?

I'm a sucker for the Biggest Loser. For years I've totally bought into everything they represent -- second chances, hard work, getting your life back, the "American Dream." I was so pumped to watch last night's finale and enjoyed every bit of it in a cold-induced fog, crying over Tumi's amazing transformation, the Holley and Bob package, and the fact that now Marie can start her family.

As a Team David support from day one, I sobbed when he came out on the stage... you know I'm a sucker for a heart-breaking story.

Then Rachel came out and, umm.. girl went too far.

In no way is this meant to be "fit-shaming," but as someone who is also 5'4", I know that 105 lbs. is totally underweight for my height. In fact, that's a BMI of 17.47, over a point under the bottom of the healthy weight threshold at 18.5.

I can't even begin to imagine the mindset that you experience after being shouted at for 7 months, forced to focus more, work harder, and push longer. I think getting yourself in a mindset of challenging yourself, pushing yourself out of your comfort zone (in my case, not being afraid to be short of breath), and seeing what you can accomplish is a great thing, but when it goes too far and seems to involve a dysfunctional relationship with food as well, then it becomes an issue.

It also speaks to addictive personalities and how that combined with weight loss can be dangerous if you're not careful to regulate it. I know for me, I become so fixated on getting in that next run and logging a day under my calorie goal that I fight my rest days and my "cheat" days even though I know my body (and my mind) need them. It's something I've struggled to regulate and I'm doing a solid job with it. I've experienced what happens when I don't listen to my body when it's getting worn down from training -- messed up knees, pulled muscles, and stress fractures. It's been a tough lesson to learn, but I'm nailing it.

I so greatly appreciated Bob and Jillian's reaction to Rachel's emaciated appearance. Obviously it's not like they could run out on stage and stop the confetti from falling, but their looks said it all. The Biggest Loser is not about unhealthy weight loss and pushing yourself to the point of sickness. It's about getting fit and healthy. The great thing about the show has always been that it seems achievable for anyone. I was workout with the Biggest Loser Power Walk DVD this week and wanted to die during walk three, but when I saw these people just like me doing it, I pushed through it.

Weight loss is about moderation and acceptance... acceptance that my body is not meant to be 105 lbs. and that I am okay with that.