Christian Travelers Guide

Increasingly random thoughts from a sleep deprived mind

They say deprivation of sleep is a form of torture. It certainly makes the mind wander in unexpected ways.

- Sam's got pretty dry skin and the midwives have all suggested using olive oil rather than any shop bought lotions. But they don't tell you useful things like should you be using Sainsbury's Best? Or would extra virgin olive oil (handpicked by virgins at the full moon) be better?

- When applying the olive oil I like to rub it on my hands so it is nice and warm before dousing his sensitive bottom (with Sainsbury's Best). This releases the smell of the oil, which instantly makes me think of tomato sandwiches - or at least sandwiches made on the freshest of bread, with luscious red tomatoes, some spinkled salt, basil and drizzled olive oil. This smell (and snack) will now always remind me of Sam at this newborn age. It is totally incongruous with the freezing cold weather outside.

- The smell of oil attracts the dog. So whilst I imagine a bliss filled moment, massaging my blessed newborn babe, the reality is I'm having to elbow the dog out of the room to protect little Sam from the great yellow hound who is thinking about lunch.

- Every single one of my boys has been born on or around an Ashes Cricket series. I'm starting to think Dave has planned this. However, at 4.20am, Test Match Special with Aggers et al is my newest and bestest friend.

- Dave and I agreed that I would take the newborn nights, and he would be in charge of the other two. This isn't necessarily a bad deal for me, the 4 year old is not known for sleeping through the night. What Dave hadn't bargained on was that the 4 year old seems to sleep less than a newborn. This may explain why we've been quite so tired for the last 4 years.

- However much you think that you can't possibly have enough love left to give to another baby, your heart expands and you love them just as much as your other children.

- I'm really enjoying this newborn phase. The cuddles, the smell of his hair, the sleepy nighttime feeds, the cross spasmodic leg kicking is all just a delight. I've been quite surprised by this. With the other two I was in too much shock to enjoy it. This time round (and it will be the last) I'm savouring every moment.