Christian Travelers Guide

This Oympics, here come the girls!

Just loving the Olympics. The usual TV rules (no TV before 5.30) have been relaxed to TV on as soon as the action starts and doesn't appear to come off. We're all now experts on shooting, cycling and rowing.

Actually, I was not bad on rowing before, having rowed at a good enough standard myself. And having done sport at a relatively high standard a good couple of years ago, I've been struck by something this Olympics. For the first time, I have really felt that the womens sports are being included as equal to the mens. 20 years ago* women's sport was often portrayed as something that the 'Dorises' do, something that was all well and good but not quite as good as the men.

20 years ago in my sport the men had training camps in Spain, all paid for in the quest for their glory in sport. The women - well we got to pay a small fortune to go to a freezing scout hut and had to do all our own cooking into the bargain. The men got oodles of free kit, we got to pay for it all ourself. The men never really took us seriously. I don't know if they thought that we weren't as good technically, or not as fast/strong as them - but either way we were considered to be the sideshow.

So I have found this Olympics to be so refreshing - the men have talked about the women's achievements with genuine pride, and it comes across that they feel the women are a part of the team - an equal part of the team. Not a sideshow. Not a bit fluffy. The Real Deal.

Here come the girls - and my goodness me, the girls of Team GB are doing us all proud.

*surely not 20 years ago? Surely I am not that old! Apparently I am officially ancient. How did that happen?