Christian Travelers Guide

That's Alright Mama - Good Sammy's East Victoria Park Op Shop Review

One of my true blessings in life has been being able to call Wednesday 1pm, my Friday 5pm. I find that working in the field of mental health requires me to completely switch off come hometime – or at least change the brain-channel.

You Got That At An Op Shop?!

So with half a day up my sleeve, I generally find a little browse here and there in a local op shop just the trick. And recently I decided to explore the second hand offerings of Victoria Park. Albany Highway has always scared me a little I have to say, but given I see clients out this way, I’ve had to get used to it. So hitting Vic Park wasn’t such a big dread this time around. In fact, I think it went reasonably well - only one person got to see my lovely middle finger after he almost t-boned me.

I’ve known about this particular Good Sammy’s for some time and I think have probably popped in there once or twice, but this was really my first dedicated visit (read = no husband in tow).

The minute you walk in the door, you're thrown right into rows and rows of clothes. This op shop is a must for all things clothing and covering all bases too such as men, women’s, kids, sporting (heaps of wetsuits/rashies) and sleepwear. You just know you are gonna find something when you see how much this place has to offer.

My style of op shopping however, is that I do the bric-a-brac first, and then make my way back to the clothes (that way, if I have any items, I can put them up at the counter to free the hands for the all important clothes-rummage!).

As you head down towards the back of the store where the bric-a-brac is located, you’ll make your way past the plentiful manchester/haberdashery section (hello crochet rugs!) and an amazing all-things-craft section. I urge any of your who get into your arts and crafts to pay a visit to this Good Sammys, you’ll grab anything from vintage patterns, material off-cuts to DIY magazines and books, at cheap prices too.

The bric-a-brac section is full of the weird and wonderful. I found The King featured quite heavily in this section, along with some other delightful finds that you’ll either laugh at or quickly pass over as you may find yourself admitting something similar once adorned your home (I forgot how much Holly Hobby I used to have!).

You Got That At An Op Shop?!

Kids are really well catered for at this store, there are heaps of kids clothes (particularly infants-toddlers) and a really awesome selection of games. I was really impressed (and happy to fossick) through the board game section as they appeared neat, intact and well cared for. I have often found that games can be a bit hit and miss at some op shops (ie “I can’t believe we’re missing one piece!”). So this is a good one if you’re after some new entertainment for the kids or something new for your next dinner party.

I would probably say this a good place to grab your every day wear type stuff as far as adult clothes go such as jeans, t-shirts, jumpers etc. It's possibly not the place for real dressed up type stuff and I did note that there wasn't a Gold Seal Collection. For you op shop newbies, many Good Sammy's stores have a 'Gold Seal Collection' which is a rack or two of designer or upmarket (or even new) gear. But hey, if I did miss it, I'll be happy to be corrected!

As I picked away I pulled out a few goodies as well as leaving behind some not so desirables (do I blame Masterchef/Coles for the Margaret Fulton t-shirt?). But with so much there, I really had to allow a decent amount of time to get through it all. So, without any further ado, here is my...

You Got That At An Op Shop?!

Op Shop Rule No 3: Roll Up Your Sleeves & Get Stuck Into It! I often get asked where I’ve found some of my op shop beauties and I have to say it’s because I got down and dirty! To assume you are going to walk into an op shop and find a pair of well-cared for Nine West peeptoe heels staring you in the face is highly unlikely. It is also very easy (and I use to do this too) to gloss over what you see on the racks or shelves and decree there is nothing there for you, citing your op shopping trip as a flop – and possibly putting you off from going ever again. You must dedicate some serious detective time at your favourite store (or stores, in my case!). I promise you, with some patience and good eyes, you’ll find something you will love.

This trip was definitely a success as I came away with a couple of worthy finds including a $5 hot pink Sportsgirl knitted jumper, $2 Duchess saucer & side plate (gotta find the teacup now!), 2 x $2 Johnson side plates (to match my already sourced dinner plates) and a couple of designer bubby outfits (ie Peter Rabbit, Pumpkin Patch) for $1-$3.

You Got That At An Op Shop?!

If you are after some bargain clothes suitable for your casual days, I do urge you to make a trip out to this Good Sammy's, you won’t be disappointed. And hey, if your a proud Mrs Fulton fan, there's a t-shirt waiting for you! Kelx

Go For: *Casual Clothes (all ages) * Craft *Toys/Games
Try Another Good Sammy's: * Designer Duds

Good Sammys
818 Albany Highway
East Victoria Park
Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm / Sat 9am-5pm
www.goodsamaritan.com.au

HOLD THE PRESS! GOOD SAMMY’S ARE ONLINE!
If you find you can’t make it into this store (or any of your other local Good Sams) they now offer online shopping, including a $5 flat shipping rate anywhere in Australia. Woohoo!!
www.shop25.com.au

You Got That At An Op Shop?!