Christian Travelers Guide

Being pregnant again

I remember my first pregnancy well. It was full of calm, quiet times. I listened to soothing classical music and read pregnancy books endlessly. I knew to the day how pregnant I was and spent a lot of time taking it all very seriously indeed. I could barely lift up a bag of shopping - I was pregnant after all.

How times change. With 2 boys tearing around the house at full speed, this pregnancy is just having to fit in. I have no idea how pregnant I am, working on the basis that I'm more than 12weeks but less than 20 (going on which scans I've had). I've been exceptionally lucky as so far in that this pregnancy looks to be following the other two in being straighforward, no morning sickness, nothing has been highlighted as a concern, which means that I only see the midwife about every 6 weeks or so.

There's no opportunity to slow down with 2 rampant boys in the house. I still have to sprint to catch them on their scooters, haul them off things that they shouldn't have climbed, move with lightening speed to prevent damage to heads and property. Every now and then I have to haul the 3 1/2 year old Luke onto my hip, the thought of not carrying a bag of shopping now makes me smile. I am tired, but I'm always tired so that isn't much of a change.

For weeks on end I forget that I am pregnant, only remembering when I try to squeeze through a gap that doesn't take into account my expanding stomach. Oh yes I think, I'm going to have another baby. Forgot about that there for a while.

I really enjoy being pregnant, so I've made a pact with myself. Everyday I have to have a little quiet moment, just a little moment, when I remember all about it and try to savour it. Then I climb the climbing frame to rescue a small boy who has got stuck and day to day life continues.