Christian Travelers Guide

2012 Hours To Go

We didn't get any tickets to go to the Olympics (despite applying on more times than I choose to remember). This is a great sadness to me, I LOVE the Olympics. Absolutely adore them. Something about the drama and the way it only happens every 4 years which just makes them magic.

I was determined to do something though. I mean you can hardly have the Olympics in your own backyard and not do something. So we got tickets for one of the pre-events. The grand opening of the stadium, an evening of athletics and entertainment. So last night, 2012 hours before the Games officially begin, that is where we were. At the Olympic Park. Watching the BACS athletes relay, jump, pole vault and sprint.

The park is amazing, the stadium is just great. We took the older boys and we all loved it. Their first trip to a big stadium and they were suitably impressed.

I have to say that I loved the athletics too. There were some great close races and the crowd all got behind the athletes. As for the evening of entertainment, well, lets just say that watching a bunch of celebrities who I don't know attempting sport in the manner of my 5 year old isn't exactly my idea of a good night out. I could rant here about how the British Public are often treated like 5 year olds and it is exceptionally irritating, but that would be churlish. Instead I'm going to say that the stadium was amazing and I'm now officially very very excited about the games (but please, organisers, let the British Public have a chance to sing the National Anthem because we do enjoy a good sing).