Christian Travelers Guide

Abstaining in Lent

Adam has announced that he is going to give up watching TV for Lent. Which has rather taken me by surprise as we are not a particularly religious family and I'd forgotten that Lent was rapidly approaching (and that you are supposed to give something up for it).

What a great idea I said.

What are you giving up for Lent Mummy? he asked.

I bit my tongue. There are many things I'd like to give up for Lent. Being nice to irritating children over half term. Finding lost bits of Lego. Putting clothes that aren't mine into the laundry basket. Saying things more than once. The list is endless.

What do you think I should give up?

Adam thought hard. What could Mummy give up that would be as tough for me as giving up TV would be for him.

Tea. He said. And then added And coffee.

This is going to be hard. I may not be very nice to anyone for the next 40 days. Or, hopefully, he'll forget that he's given up TV on day 2 so I can go back to drinking caffeine with impunity.