Christian Travelers Guide

A plea to those on their bikes at night

I have a few things to say to cyclists. Actually, I should be more specific. I have a few things to say to some cyclists, the ones that don't have bike lights, wear black clothing and skip red lights.

First up I should say that I cycle. You have to be living where I do, this city really only works on a bike. So I am aware of the hazards of being a cyclist. Like those moments when a car overtakes you only to turn left directly in front of you. Or when a lorry that hasn't looked out for you decides to move closer towards the pavement. So when I drive, especially round here which is a city full of people on bikes, I always look out for cyclists - take that extra glance to make sure that there isn't someone on a bike who wasn't there before. The cyclist fatality rate is too high - last year 16 people were killed on their bikes in London which is scary.

The other night though I was driving home and almost hit someone on a bike. Someone wearing black clothes, without lights and who had skipped a red light. I had the green light, I wasn't expecting anyone to be coming from my left. Particularly someone I couldn't see. It really shook me up. I don't want to be responsible for causing the death of a cyclist. I don't want to live with that on my conscience for the rest of my life. But dressed in black and without lights, I genuinely couldn't see him coming.

So I'd like to issue a plea to people on bikes. Please be aware that whilst you might feel that everyone can see you, if you don't have lights and are wearing black we really can't. If the cars have their lights on, so should you. High vis jackets may not look all that stylish, but you do stand out. It is true that junctions can be improved and certainly many drivers can be more aware of bicycles, but please be conscious that if you don't have lights at night, wear black and jump lights many cars simply won't be able to see you. It's an accident no one wants to happen.