Christian Travelers Guide

Buffets

I am currently out of town for a coaching conference. While I'm excited to be learning some new skills and strategies to bring back to my classroom, there's one thing that's killing me...

The food.

EVERYTHING is a buffet.

I can handle breakfast. I can handle lunch. But dinner? Oh dinner...

Last night, we were offered fettuccine alfredo, braised pork ribs, chicken breast with pesto, shrimp scampi, eggplant parmesan.

Fat. Fried. Butter.

Then dessert comes out. An ice cream bar, tiramisu being hand delivered to your seat...

Ugh.

I made great choices all day, even stopping at Trader Joe's to buy some healthy snacks to carry with me. But then I asked for two scoops of ice cream, loaded it with candy, then ate my tiramisu on top of that, feeling like I might burst after I mixed two Coors Lights on top of it all during happy hour.

I waddled back to my room, cursing myself for my lack of self-respect and self-control.

Then I went to the gym.

And then I found myself swimming laps at 8:30 PM because, well... because I originally wanted to hit an elliptical, but thought I'd see if the pool was empty, and let's be honest, when's the last time you had an entire lap pool to yourself? So swimming it was.

And it felt great.

But I forgot to mention the snacks. Buffets of snacks. Buffets of Goldfish crackers, Swedish fish, trail mix, chips, Sour Patch Kids, cans upon cans of soda.

I'm trying to stay focused, I really am. I just keep telling myself... eating that fat-laden, sugar-filled stuff will not make me happy. I will feel shitty. I need to be kind to myself and use this as not only a time for professional development, but personal as well.