Christian Travelers Guide

MHA Ladies 5K Recap

Saturday morning I ran my second 5K on 2011, the MHA Ladies 5K here in York. I was in the mindset to set a PR and was really hoping for under 30. I knew I'd been training harder in the past few weeks than I had been leading up to the Race Against Racism in April, so I thought I'd be able to push myself on this course, thinking it was primarily flat based off of what I knew about the neighborhood.

Um. Wrong.

Never do that, okay?

It was pretty hilly. Rolling hills, anyway. It started on a hill. It ended with a hill. It had hills in the middle. Ick. I know I shouldn't be complaining because I've conquered some pretty gnarly hills this year and will be facing some rough ones during 3 of the races I have on tap this year. I was just not mentally prepared to run any sort of hill and knew I wasn't going to break 30 with them in the course.

Grr.

Anyway, I felt pretty water-logged heading out. I was determined not to cramp, but I overdid it with hydration. I started cramping at about 1/2 mile in, but told myself that I could be okay with being uncomfortable for 30 minutes. I tried to keep D. in my sights as I ran because she's fast, so I felt like if I could keep near her, I'd be good. Wrong. I didn't know the course at all, so the first 2 miles seemed ridiculously long, and I was also pretty cocky about my pace, so I was confused when I didn't see the first mile marker by the time my 3rd song on my iPod had ended.

What hauling ass looks like.. or just pissed off running.
Somethin' like that.

There was a woman who ran in front of me (I called her Skinny Backpack Bitch in my mind. I don't think she's really a bitch, it just seemed like a good way to end her name... much more of a bite than Skinny Backpack Girl or Skinny Backpack Woman) who would sprint, stop and get a drink of water out of her backpack and I'd pass her, then she'd sprint and pass me again. After 2 1/2 miles of this, I got so pissed off that I ripped my headphones out of my ears and just ran the last .6 as hard as I could.

Did I beat her?

You bet your ass I did.

I also beat myself, setting another 5K PR of 32:17, over a minute faster than my time for the Race Against Racism. Not bad considering the course was hilly and I didn't know the layout.

I'm so hell bent to break 30 that I signed up for another 5K on June 18 that I'm running by myself for no reason other than a.) it's a good cause and b.) I REALLY want to beat my time again.

By the way, this was my friend Michelle's first 5K and we've been training like crazy for this. She kicked ass and finished in just over 42 minutes. I felt like a proud mama bear watching her cross that finish line!

The "Hasty Ladies" ready to roll.