Christian Travelers Guide

Two Great Things

I just read this post on Daily Spark by a guy named Bruce Corwin. After finishing off a 1/2 cup of ice cream (hello, portion control.. haha), nothing's ever made so much sense:

"There are two great things about paying the price for weight loss and health. One, you never regret it the next day. You may regret not having bought that nice pair of shoes at a store you were at 30 miles away yesterday, but if you're trying to lose weight, you won't regret not having ordered Chocolate Brownie Explosion for dessert the night before. You'll be proud you didn't.

Two, you realize that when you're paying the price, you're actually paying yourself – transferring currency from your interest-free, status-quo account to your personal responsibility account, which pays interest and dividends. So when you pay the price, you're the one who gets enriched.

If you don't pay the price now, you may pay a dear price later that you and your loved ones won't like at all.

When we commit ourselves to paying the price, we're doing more than just improving our health and reaching for other goals. We're saying "No" on principle to mediocrity, lethargy, blame, shame, excuses, disappointment, self-loathing and, saddest of all, squandered potential. And we're saying "Yes" to enthusiasm, performance, purpose, striving, integrity, character and life."

You can read the rest of the article here.

It's so true! You never regret passing on dessert, skipping seconds, not going back to the buffet one last time... but you do regret that extra bowl of ice cream, just one Pepsi, or an extra slice of pizza. It's making that transition in your mind happen that's the hard part. I know that for me, I'm the type of person who will scarf down tons of food at a potluck just because I never know when I'm going to have that food again and then I regret it the next day... or even hours later. I need to learn to let it go. Yes, that crab dip is amazing, but I'm sure you'll find it again someday, self, you know you'll regret it if you eat another plate of it.

I feel like I need to hang that article up on my fridge!