Christian Travelers Guide

Street Party

It must be the number of years I have spent outside of Britain, but I've decided that I want to have a street party. We live in the ideal street for one - it's a dead end road and would look great with a long trestle table right up the middle and bunting stretched across the street. The road is a good mix of young families, older people who have lived here for decades and the odd student house. A street party would be a lot of fun. Ideally I'd like to have one for the Royal Wedding but think we've probably left it too late to organise and am a bit worried that the weather that weekend could be rubbish. A street party in rubbish weather is not that much fun, although very British.

I've mentioned it to a few people in the road, and everyone seems to be really up for it. But so far no one has stepped up to the plate to actually start doing anything.

So I've gone and done it. Printed off 25 fliers, stuck them in peoples post boxes and said if you want a street party come over to my house on Sunday evening for a meeting.

Now I 100% do not want to organise a party. I am stretched to my absolute limit at the moment without voluntarily piling a load more admin onto my plate. Admin isn't my strong point at the best of times, under pressure it disintegrates entirely. But I'm secretly hoping, if I get people together and then stand up and say 'hey guys, this is a great idea, who wants to organise it?' that someone else might be guilted into putting up their hand.

Otherwise, I have just heaped a whole load of unnecessary pain onto my plate.

(Is anyone else organising a street party? Any tips?)