Christian Travelers Guide

Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K - Race Report

First 5k of 2014 is in the books... and so is a nasty bout with the flu.

After 3 months of solid running, I got nailed on Wednesday with the flu. I had hoped to get in one more good run before Saturday, but I ended up spending Thursday and Friday medicated on the couch, fighting a fever and the urge to rip my nose off of my face. I hydrated and carb-loaded to the best of my ability so I could make a feeble attempt at a 5k on Saturday, even if I did nothing but walk it. I was too amped for the event to be sidelined from a sneaky bug.

I have to say this about the Lager Jogger - it is hands down one of the most flawlessly organized events I've ever participated in. Last year was the first year and the packet pick-up was a little bit of a cluster, but this year it was flawless. Three days of packet pick-up in an open room with stations set up for different parts of the pack. I was in and out in a matter of minutes. Race day was just as flawless... I'm always so surprised at how smoothly things flow considering you're squished onto 3 blocks of a steep street in the middle of Pottsville with 3,000 of your closest running buddies (in a town with a population of just over 14,000). They had stations set up for ID check, tour set up, beer tickets, etc. We got there a little over an hour early, thinking we'd have to wait for ID check and everything, but it literally took us maybe 10 minutes to get our IDs checked and a tour scheduled.

There are two things I love the most about the Lager Jogger (other than the two free beers at the finish line):
1. The spirit of the participants
2. The spirit of the spectators

Everyone - for the most part - is there to have a good time. The spectators are cheering you on, offering you drinks, napkins, and motivating signs. (Although I will say that while I appreciated her enthusiasm, the woman at the STARTING LINE saying, "Great job, guys! Looking great!" was a little too much.) I remember someone last year saying that she appreciated that this race was "socially acceptable to walk." Considering the first mile is a solid uphill, I also appreciate that, lol. Mom and I walked the first mile, my chest burning with every step thanks to my little flu friend. There was a kid next to us bitching the entire way about how bad his legs were burning and how he would rather die than finish this. I needed to pick up the pace to get past Bitchy Pants McGee or I was going to push him off the road and tell him to walk his ass back to the start. We started jogging at about the 1-mile marker (after passing two "alternate" water stops complete with mimosas and beer) on a nice downhill and kept up the pace until the first uphill turn. I was struggling with my breath, so mom took off ahead of me and I tried to keep my pace up the best I could. After the 2nd mile marker, the rest of the race is a nice, easy downhill, so I picked up my pace and took off, thinking I could die when I crossed the finish line.

There were two girls on either side of me who kept passing me, then falling behind when they gassed out. This, of course, fueled my fire and I picked up my pace even more. I'm not one to enjoy a sprint, but I really do love it in a 5k when I'm racing with the people next to me, whether they know it or not. (Not that coming in 2000-something out of 2600 people means anything, but it was a win in my head!) There is something so satisfying about smoking someone and not seeing them again.

I kept trucking towards the finish line, coming in 4 1/2 minutes faster than last year's time at 42:46, not bad for walking a good 1/2 of it and fighting the flu.

However, I think my finish line face says it all:

In true Lager Jogger fashion, I headed directly for the food and beer immediately after crossing and refueled myself with pierogies, ice cream, and lager. It was nice to get to truly enjoy the block party this year rather than hustle back to the car so we could feel our hands again. (Last year was FREEZING and windy! Yuck.)

I am already looking forward to taking part in this Skook gem next year!