Christian Travelers Guide

Race Against Racism

I ran my first 5k in 10 months on Saturday. I wasn't sure if I would be ready to run 3.1 solid miles yet, especially after the number that Hyner did on my quads and feet. Somehow, I managed to crank out 2.9 here in town Wednesday morning without tiring, so I decided that I should go for it. Plus, the 5k I had on the calendar was the Race Against Racism -- my very first 5k two years ago. I felt like I had to.

I thought I was running by myself, so I planned on showing up, running, and going home. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see almost 10 of my coworkers there to run as well. It was nice to have a little support system there, especially because I was having a little bit of a freak out, questioning if my body was really ready for 3.1 already.

I forgot how much I hate the first mile of this race. It's all a real slow uphill for a solid mile, then you get to cruise downhill and flat with just minor hills over the next two until you hit the last .25 which is a pretty steep but short hill. I felt strong, although I had some serious side cramping and tightness between my shoulders, which I'm blaming on the fact that I had two cups of coffee and a little sip of water before the race.

View from this morning's 2.5.

I finished in 37:28, just 11 seconds faster than my first time there, but 3 minutes slower than my second. I have to keep reminding myself that for someone who hasn't really run in 10 months, I can't complain. I'm back out there, I'm feeling good, and I've made so much progress since my stress fracture.

I even managed to squeak out a slow 2.5 this morning while Josh & Lucy were sleeping.

It feels so good to enjoy running again. :)

Next up, the Lynn Spittle Memorial 5k on May 12.